18 Dec Tips for Keeping your Carpet Cleaner for Longer
Angus Cleaning Services have provided carpet cleaning throughout Angus including Arbroath, Montrose, Brechin, Kirriemuir, Forfar, Broughty Ferry and Monifeith for years. Our professional carpet cleaners have put together 6 tips to help keep your carpet cleaner for longer.
This one may seem a bit obvious but you’d be surprised how many people don’t vacuum regularly. Vacuuming you’re carpet 3 times a week can have a make a big difference.
One mistake people often make is vacuuming too fast and leaving dirt within the carpet. Slower is better when it comes to lifting dirt. Try vacuuming slowly, particularly over areas of high footfall and you will notice the difference.
Replace vacuum bags regularly
It’s unpleasant we know, but changing your hoovers bag regularly will improve the suction of the hoover and will allow it to lift the optimum amount of dirt from your carpet.
Remove Your Shoes
Wearing shoes in your house can result in a dirtier and worn looking carpet. Not only does it increase the amount of dirt being tread into your carpet, shoes also have a harder tread than slippers or socks, and this will wear down your carpets quicker.
Try making it a habit to remove your shoes as you enter the house and encourage visitors to do the same.
Use Rugs to protect your carpet
Adding a rug to areas with high footfall will protect your carpet keeping it cleaner for longer. While the rug itself will still require regular cleaning, it’s much easier to deep clean a rug than it is to deep clean an entire carpet.
Deep clean twice a year
Deep cleans are essential if you want to keep your carpet looking cleaner for longer. Rather than waiting until your carpet looks dirty, it’s much better to hire a professional carpet cleaner twice a year to keep it looking fresh and it may not cost as much as you think. Check out our carpet cleaning page for more details.
Remove stains right away
Generally speaking, the longer a stain has been in a carpet, the harder it is to get out so it’s always best to try to remove stains as soon as possible.
- Scrape up solids with a spatula
- Blot off a liquid stain using a clean dry white cloth or kitchen roll, never rub the pile, and work from the outer edge of the stain inwards to prevent spreading it.
- Pretest spot removal materials in an inconspicuous area, and apply the cleaning agent to an absorbent towel, then blot the carpet. Only use spot removal products suitable and recommended for your carpet fibre / type and correct for the stain type.
- Do not over – wet the carpet. Remove excess moisture by applying pressure with paper towels or an absorbent cloth.
- Rinse by applying water using a clean cloth. Work from the outside of the stain inwards, do not rub and do not over-wet.
- Try to absorb a spillage before the stain starts to dry, once dry it becomes very difficult to remove and may become fixed.
So there you have it, 6 handy tips to help maintain your carpet. For more information on professional carpet cleaning in Angus, get in touch with us on 01241 877667.